10 nerdy jobs you can apply for

Hey everyone!

This year is soon over and that means I am no longer going to work at the school I am currently working at. This is due to the fact that working 16 hours a week and studying at the same time has been a bit too much for me personally. I miss out on lectures etc. It would also be easier if it wasn't a job where I actually have to "produce" things (assignments) and I think it would have been less hard on me if I was working in a store. A cashier meets customers and when they're gone you're job is done. It will be better for the students as well since it will mean that they will have a teacher who's not away every four weeks on a seminar or the alike.

Not having a job does mean I will have a very low amount of income to say the least but I'd rather feel well than have money so it's a fair trade. However, I need a job for the summer since I won't be getting any income then and I thought "why not try and find a nerdy job where I can thrive until I have to be a teacher for the rest of my life"... ish... and it hit me that I should share which positions one could apply for if wanting such a job with you too, so here they are: 10 nerdy jobs I might apply to before the summer of 2015.

1. Game store
There are many game stores where one could work. Available store jobs in Sweden include: Game, GameStop, Console, EB games and many more.
















Working in a game store feels kinda ideal for me. I have been selling things before, I know how to be updated on and I am updated on games already and you can be there with your presence and personality which is enough. It's not like you have tons to do when you get home.

2. Electronics store
This is relatively similar to the first one but I didn't want to mix them together. They are both store work but it requires totally different knowledge in order to work in either. When I say electronics store I am thinking about (Swedish) places like: MediaMarkt, Elgiganten, Siba. Have no idea which are Swedish and which aren't but I think you get the gist. There's one called Fry's Electronics, right?















An electronics store wouldn't be as ideal for me for several reasons. It's still a store that requires less of you than teaching so I would have no problem working there. And even though you will be in contact with films, games, computers, headsets etc, working with washing machines, coffee machines and vacuum cleaners is first of all not very nerdy but also way above my... not even expertise.

3. Gaming store...?
I'm not sure what to call number three but I am refering to those stores that are kind of in between game stores and electronics stores. They will sell you both games and computers but also have a wide range of gaming gear in general, such as keyboards, mouses, computer components, cables and screens although they don't sell microwaves etc. Stores such as Webhallen, Komplett or gaminggear.eu.
















This is probably alternative two for me. If you're not the same kinda nerd as I am and you know a lot about electronics in general maybe an electronics store would fit you better but this is my kinda store. I don't know that much about hardware etc but it would be a lot easier to learn than dish washers or refrigerators. I also do know a lot more about headsets and mouses which would be useful.

4. Software developer/game developer/designer
I'm putting these together in a bunch (even though I do understand and respect that they are very different!) they are because this is nothing I could pursue myself. I wish thought. Being able to say "I'm a software designer" just sounds so awesome. If you have any sort of skills, this is a nerdy job I would recommend.

5. YouTuber/Steamer
The pay-off might take a really long while to come to you... if ever... but if this was a job where someone hired me and I would recieve a certain amount of money every month it would probably be my dream job if I could stream from home. It's something I'd like to pursue but can't really risk at the moment. Playing games all day without having to review them afterwards... living the dream!





















6. Game reviewer
Now... this is not my dream job. It usually pays badly and you have to both play and review one game in a very short amount of time. The job sounds like "play games for a living" but is actually "rush through games and try to make a review just as fast". No, this is not a dream job but if there was a position available I would not hesitate to apply either!

7. Librarian/book shop keeper
Steering away some from the "gamer" part and treading into other nerd territories, books... are awesome. Working with books would make me even more interested in reading and I think it's kind of nerdy to want to work somewhere they sell books and not just having it as a "security net".

8. Optometrist
Now... I'm not sure this counts but isn't glasses a typical nerd stamp? ... no? It would be kind of fun to wear and work with glasses while secretly being a nerd. I would perhaps feel more like a dork but it's still fun in the Leonard from Big Bang Theory kind of way.

9. Comic book store keeper
This treads back to the more typical nerd kind of nerd path and is somewhat different from the librarian or book shop keeper. Comic books are nerdier to me at least. I doubt I will ever work at a comic book store though. I'm not even sure where to find a comic book store in Sweden! My hometown probably doesn't have one, Uppsala had one store and then Stockholm and Gothenburg might have a few. So unless I am moving...




















10. Computer support
This is a job I dreaded to list althought the possition is the one I believe I have the most possibility to acquire. I have sold things by phone and know a lot about how to treat (mostly unhappy) customers. I might not know that much about computers but I think I could both learn or be more of a Apple support or telephone network operator would suit me very well... although there are so many other jobs I'd rather apply to!



Hoping to have one of these jobs before summer strikes. If there are any other nerdy jobs you would like to apply to, let me know in the comment below or hit me up on Twitter.

Bye guys!

Comments

Popular Posts