Review of "Teleglitch: Die More Edition"

Hey everyone! Here is my review of Teleglitch: Die More Edition. I have been writing  the last part of it on my phone because I have not been home the last 48 hours. So I'm sorry for few pictures and some delay but here it is!

Background
In case you have not read my blog: Paradox Interactive gave me a great opportunity to play two of their recent games (Teleglitch and The Showdown Effect). I have now played enough Teleglitch to know what I think of it. In the beginning of it all I thought I would finish the game before I reviewed it but have come to the understanding that I will probably not be able to play through the whole game at all... not in this life I won't. I mean, I do like the game a lot and will keep playing it after this review (for sure) but the time it takes to get anywhere... wow. Rough game in that sense! Very unforgiving.

The code of the game that I got was the pre-order version of "Teleglitch: Die More Edition". The pre-order version comes with eight exclusive items (new weapons and unique items) that have the ability to generate at the beginning of the game. In difference to the original version (Without Die More Edition or the pre-order edition) where you always start with a gun. However, it can also be toggled on and off. Thus, players can decide whether or not they want the option to have a harder start at random. Some of the items and weapons can also be upgraded in this version!













There are also five bonus levels. They are not added at the end on top of all the existing levels but are rather branches to the existing ones. When you come to the end of level one, for example, you can choose between two levels, two a and two b, instead of only having one choice. Each of these levels also provide a new setting!

The AI is also upgraded and are supposed to behave more intelligently than the last version. From level three and onward the AI will also spawn patrols on you if they see you from their security cameras. In later levels this function is even more advanced.

Additionally, more lore has also been fitted into the game.













Disclaimer
Rating systems in the gaming community are usually way off. All reviewed games get a 6 or higher even though the scale is from 1-10. It's been discussed and I agree that the system is in fact off at the moment. Most people would not buy games that got below 8 in scoring, however, many still buy indie games etc they haven't seen a review of that would perhaps only get a 5. When I score I try to be as correct as possible and a 5 does not mean it's a bad game. 5 is average and usually a normal and/or good score. In aspiration to change the system we have today, expect lower ratings from me than you usually see somewhere else.

Introduction
A lot of background has been given about the game and all I wanted to add to this is that Teleglitch is an action, shooter, survival, pixel game published by Paradox Interactive last year. Given a score of 7.8/10 from  IGN and 84/100 from Metacritic.

Story
In Teleglitch we are directly thrown into the story. The background we get is that on a Military Research and Training Facility 30 light years away from Earth there has been research on teleportation and genetics, for example. But something has gone terribly wrong and when we land into the story our character needs to get out of it's hiding place in search for food. The creatures we meet out there are not cute, will you survive them?
















Graphics
The graphics in this game are awesome. Paradox Interactive are well capable of creating modern looking games. Choosing the pixel style does not make them game look "good" per se which I like. Perhaps it might not apply to the younger audience and taking risks to narrow down who you are aiming to play your game is pretty neat. 

The colour scheme in Teleglitch is rather dark and gloomy all over. This matches the feeling that the creators aim for us to feel but it can make it a bit difficult to aim at the enemies as they are very hard to see at times. Yes, it is a challenge and yes, it might be intentional but I would argue that the sound of them as you enter the room is not really enough to beat them. In the rooms where it is completely dark in the corners I am not expecting to see them but I just wish the colours could have sticked out from the floor and environment some times.

Critique 
The game is totally aspiring and succeeding to look and behave like an oldschool game. However, I am not sure that is always a good thing. It is fun to kind of revisit the years we perhaps though we had put behind us even for a gamer that never really played those 90's games. Teleglitch is brutal and unforgiving and those are features we see coming back in a way (Dark Souls e.g.). What differs from newer games however is the removal of the almost too harsh unforgiving features such as having to redo the last five obstacles becuase you failed on one. I feel like Teleglitch is lacking this. Using all the good stuff from old games is an awesome idea but keeping the features that we all dislike is not a new oldish game.. it's just an old game. I often find myself wanting to keep playing because it's a fun game but I often lack the motivation to start over when it's for the third time that day.

The game takes place on another planet, on a facility where things have gone extremely wrong. There are things suggesting we have transferred ourselves into the future. Mankind live on other planets than earth and research have gone far (teleportation is a thing now), perhaps even too far. However, the graphics could suggest that the game has actually already taken place further back in time. I like to play with the thought that Paradox is hinting towards that society has already gone too far (regarding perhaps the environment or technology) with their use of graphics. It's a fun thought, trying to understand what year is actually being presented to us. But then I neglect the fact that they are living on other planets; the whole thing does not make sense. Perhaps I have to settle with the fact that it is just a game with a story... even though I can't let go of the hints!

Positive versus Negative

  • Each time you replay brand new maps will load. Avoiding repetition.
  • There is an edition with out "die more" that is most likely easier for those interested.
  • Compelling story and nice graphics.
  • A lot of nice touches from old games.

  • Hard to learn the controls. Takes a while to get into.
  • Very infrequent saves. Creates frustration.
  • Unforgiving. Could be a positive thing but it is a bit too brutal.
  • A lot of bonuses from the first edition.
Rating
5 - Average.


Hope you liked my review, I worked hard with all this.
Bye guys!

Comments

Popular Posts