Starcraft - Jinro

Hey everyone! Yesterday was a sad day since Jinro put a post up on teamliquid.net about him retiring from StarCraft...

"To some of you, this comes as a surprise. To some of you, it does not. The latter group will say: 'Just look at his results, of course he's retiring.' The latter group is right to not be surprised, but they are wrong about why."

He writes a lot about him having a dream since a young age, going to Korea, but he didn't feel like he had achieved that even though he got there and even had a team. So he fought on.

It was around 2010 that Jinro started doubting himself first, he even said to his team captain, Victor, that he shouldn't bother sending him to MLG but he still played a lot, around 50 games a day.

He was more sure of retiring around 2011 when he actually said aloud that he thought of doing just that. Despite that, he signed for another year.

In the winter things were tough for him. He wasn't just unhappy about Starcraft and his game but also with his life. "I think it was very clear to anyone who watched my stream, or just my games. Something was wrong. Tilting was common, and honestly I behaved pretty poorly. More and more I found myself practicing just so that I could be sent to events, to meet the friends I could so rarely meet. I'd had a dream...and I had given it up. What I had left was a child's dream half-remembered."

All of this sound very dark but still he doesn't regret the choice to become a progamer. Except going to Korea which was the first dream friends, fans and the life experience felt like a great growth for him anyway.






Right now, he doesn't know where life's going but that's fine.

He wants to thank everyone that supported him through his whole career.
 
"In particular, I would like to thank the following people:

My parents for supporting my ambitions at all times, be it Starcraft or Poker.

Victor for his support throughout these years, his invaluable insights during my first GSL run (he seriously watched and analyzed every practice game I played), and for being a good friend.

Gon and TheWind, my two coaches in oGs, for always taking care of us, and for putting up with my horrible temper.

To all my teammates, past and present, in both Teamliquid and oGs. If I wasn't still living in Korea, this goodbye would be a lot sadder

To everyone on the TL staff for making life when traveling a lot easier than it has any right to be, and taking care of all the things your average gamer is too uncaring to take care of.

To my friends, I hope I will have the opportunity to meet the ones of you I only got to see at events, even as a 'civilian.'

It's been emotional (cookie for anyone who catches the reference).

- Jonathan"

From Liquid`Nazgul, Victor:
"For some time I was contemplating on what I was going to write here. Jinro retiring is something that naturally seems like a sad thing, but I came to realize this was not the case for me. To me, retirement isn't something that's intrinsically good or bad. At times, it can be the start of something better."
"By retiring Jonathan is moving on to a new phase in his life. He got everything he could out of pro-gaming, and in return he gave pro-gaming everything he had, leaving an amazing legacy behind. Starting with nothing but a dream, he succeeded at the highest level in the world and became the best among his peers. He played with style, practiced with passion, and was, and will always be, a true friend."


You can read the whole thread here:
  http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=358724

Gnbth
Bye guys!

Comments

Popular Posts